Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Parmesan Cauliflower Crumbs
This chapter is a free excerpt from What's For Lunch, Honey?.
Recipe Courtesy of Donna Hay
The seasons offer copious varieties of fresh and rich produce, waiting to be turned into cosy and comforting recipes. Winter produce means parsnips, swede, cabbages, beetroot, leeks, chicory, chard and cauliflower—to name just a few. You all know by now that cauliflower is a vegetable I really love, and enjoy pairing it with other ingredients to create different flavor palates. That is probably the reason I was drawn to a particular Donna Hay Styling and Photo Challenge featuring cauliflower as the star.
The recipe itself is quick and easy to prepare and a glance at the ingredient list shows it to be a very straightforward and fuss-free dish. Do not let that fool you though—the soup is simply exquisite and offers a great mix of refined flavors. Thyme is a particularly crucial component for me, as I personally find herbs to be the perfect natural props adding texture and subtle color to the image.The Parmesan cauliflower crumbs accentuate the aromas of this soup further.
While serving the soup I added shavings of additional Parmesan over the top, which gave it that distinct complex sharp and nutty flavor that the cheese is well known for. The sprinkling of fresh thyme added added another flavor highlight and rounded the soup off perfectly. The soup is rich and creamy and tastes and has the perfect balance of cauliflower flavors without it being too over-powering.
Ingredients:For the soup
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½kg cauliflower, chopped
- 500g starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 750ml chicken stock
- 500ml milk
- 125ml single cream
- Sea salt
- Cracked white pepper
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 100g cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add the cauliflower, potato, stock and milk, increase heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes or until cauliflower and potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and, using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth. Stir through the cream, salt and pepper.
- While the soup is cooking, make the Parmesan cauliflower crumbs. Place the cauliflower, oil and Parmesan in a bowl and toss to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the cauliflower, oil and Parmesan in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the cauliflower, stirring for 2 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Top soup with cauliflower crumbs to serve.
Price: $4.95 Add to Cart
- Lifetime guarantee
- 100% refund
- Free updates